Playdough is one of the cheapest, easiest and most fun indoor activities you can provide your kids with.
It will provide hours of imaginative play and, with the right precautions, makes very little mess.
Playdough is a great indoor activity for kids.
You will need:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup cold water
- ¾ cup salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- Food colouring
How to make your own Playdough…
- If you would like to make different coloured playdough, divide the quantities into 4 and make each batch separately with a different food colour as I did.
- The amount of food colouring needed depends on how dark you want your dough. I used the equivalent of 4 teaspoons for one full batch of dough to get the vibrant colour. (Or 1 teaspoon per quarter of the mixture if you’re making 4 different colours)
- Staining: I was surprised at how clean hands were after using such dark coloured dough – especially the red and blue! Although I didn’t find it stained skin, it did mark sheets of paper and other porous materials so a play mat or protective cover to protect your table and old clothes and/or overalls are a must.
- You can knead different coloured playdoughs together to make different shades – great for orange but I couldn’t make purple for love nor money– just a murky brown colour! *sad face*
- If the dough sticks to your hands when being handled then it needed a little more cooking.
- Playdough can last for weeks, just make sure you keep it wrapped up in cling film/seran wrap/zip lock bags when it’s not being used.