Make these Origami Stars as a Christmas decoration or a Christmas activity.
Origami literally means ‘folding paper’ and originated in Japan.
This origami activity is easy and does not require origami paper.
You will need:
- Coloured Paper (rectangular)
How to make an Origami Star…
- Place your rectangular paper landscape in front of you.
- Fold the paper in half lengthways and unfold.
- Fold the top left hand corner point across and down to meet the centre crease. Line the edge of the paper up with the bottom left hand corner and fold, forming a point.
- Fold the right side of the paper over to the left so that the edge of the paper lines up precisely with the sloped left side edge, forming a triangle point at the top.
- A small amount of paper overlaps in the bottom right hand corner, tuck this between the two paper layers. You should have a triangle.
- Fold the triangle in half at the point and unfold.
- Repeat step 6 for the other two points.
- Fold the top point down to meet the base of the triangle and unfold.
- Repeat step 8 for the other two points
- Turn the paper over.
- Fold the top point to the middle of the triangle (the creases will show you where this is) and unfold.
- Repeat step 11 for the other two points.
- The one big triangle is now made up of 4 smaller triangles. 1 in the centre and 3 around the edge. Each of the triangles around the edge has two creases, one at the base and one a little further up.
- Fold one triangle point inwards (against the natural crease) at the crease in the base. Fold the point back the other way along the second crease.
- Repeat step 14 for the other two points.
- Tuck the end of the last point underneath the first point to secure.
- See step by step photos here
- Make sure your paper is coloured on both sides.
- Stick two sheets of used Christmas paper together for a Christmas Day/holiday activity.