Make an Origami Ship. This is a great indoor activity which uses very few craft materials.
You can make this ship for Thanksgiving or any other holiday which involves travel to far off shores in history – i.e. Australian history, the Spanish Armada etc.
You will need:
- Rectangle paper
- Pens to decorate
- Popsicle stick
- Glue/sticky tape
- Plain paper
How to make an Origami Ship…
- Place your paper portrait.
- Fold the paper in half from bottom to top.
- Fold the paper in half again from right to left and unfold.
- Fold the bottom left corner up and across to meet the centre crease.
- Repeat step 4 with the right side.
- Fold the top layer of the top flap down and over the base of the triangle.
- Turn the paper over and repeat step 6.
- Open up the bottom of the triangle and fold it back down on itself along the opposite sides – making a diamond.
- Fold the top layer in half (point to point)
- Turn the paper over and repeat step 9 – you should have a small triangle.
- Open the triangle at the bottom once again and fold back along the opposite lines making another diamond.
- Grab the two points which come away from the diamond and gently pull outwards.
- Flatten to make a ship shape.
- You can now colour and cut out a flag of your choice and glue or tape it to a popsicle stick and attach it to the triangle in the middle of the ship. You can also decorate the outside with colouring pens or pencils.
- You don’t have to add colour and the popsicle flag, it will still look like a ship or boat.
- Make sure you firmly crease your folds.
- Make sure you fold accurately.