The Chinese typically eat Spring Rolls in the Spring hence the name but many East Asian countries have similar snacks.
You will need:
- Filo pastry sheets
- 1 carrot – grated
- 1 courgette – grated
- A large handful of bean sprouts
- 1 shallot or ½ a small red onion – finely diced
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- 1 chicken breast – diced into very small chunks
- Soy sauce
- 1 egg – beaten
How to make them…
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C
- Dice your onion as small as possible and sautéed in some olive oil until soft along with the minced garlic clove.
- Add diced chicken and cook until all the chicken pieces are sealed off.
- Add the grated carrot and courgette along with a good couple of splashes of soy sauce and some seasoning and cook for a few more minutes until the vegetables start to wilt.
- Add a large handful of bean sprouts and stir through for another minute before taking off the heat.
- Lay out a filo pastry sheet (you may have to cut them in half if they are large) and spoon a tablespoon of the cooked filling about 1 inch from the top.
- Fold in the sides of the filo pastry
- Fold over the the top of the filo pastry and roll downwards until almost completely rolled up.
- Brush some of the beaten egg onto the end of the filo pastry to act as a glue and finish rolling up.
- Move the roll to a lightly greased baking tray before brushing the top of the Spring Roll with some more beaten egg.
- Put the spring rolls in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Keep the filo pastry pliable by laying a damp paper towel over the filo pastry sheets you are not using.
- Filo pastry is very thin. When you start rolling the filo pastry will probably be showing some holes but by the time you have rolled it all the way up the Spring Roll should be quite secure in its pastry.
- You can use left over meat in these spring rolls, just make sure it’s heated through thoroughly in the pan.
- You can add some ginger or other vegetables to this recipe.
- Leave the Spring Rolls for 5-10 minutes to cool as they will be very hot when they first come out of the oven.
- Try the Spring Rolls with some sweet chill sauce.