These peanut cookies are found in most Mexican bakeries and are delicious on their own.
Dulce de Leche – a milk caramel – is another favourite in Mexico and we’ve combined the two to make these fantastic little peanut cookie treats. Yum!
Makes 30 cookies or 15 sandwiches.
You will need:
- 100g Butter
- 150g Self Raising Flour
- 100g Icing Sugar
- 100g Salted Peanuts
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 can of Dulce de Leche caramel
How to make it…
- Preheat the oven to 180°c / Gas mark 4
- Measure out all your ingredients
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well combined and smooth.
- Ground the peanuts in a food processor or roughly chop them.
- Mix the cinnamon through the flour so it’s evenly distribute. Then and add the flour, cinnamon and peanuts to the butter mixture. Stir carefully until it’s combined.
- Add two teaspoons of milk to bring the mixture together.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper and roll the mixture into 30 large marble sized dough balls, evenly separated on the trays.
- Flatten each ball down and pop each tray in the oven for 10-15 mins until cookies start to turn slightly golden.
- Leave the baking tray on the side for a few minutes until the cookies harden then transfer the cookies to a baking tray to cool.
Making the sandwiches:
If you would like to make these cookies into caramel sandwiches, dollop a little caramel onto half the cookies with a teaspoon and pop another one on top. Eat the same day.
- Leave the butter out so it is at room temperature when you start baking. It’s much easier to mix together.
- The mixture won’t come completely together in the bowl once you’ve mixed in the milk but it should form into a ball nicely when you squeeze it together in your hands.
- Remember that the cookies will spread to about twice their size so make sure they have plenty of room on the tray.
- The cookies will still feel very soft when they first come out of the oven. Once you take them out and leave them for a couple of minutes they will harden and you will be able to transfer them to a baking tray.
- If you have bought a can of Dulce de Leche caramel you will have some left over – keep it in the fridge and have it on ice cream – it won’t last long!