Jam tarts are easy to make, tasty and fairly inexpensive.
Add pastry hearts and these jam tarts can become gifts for Valentine’s Day.
Makes 12 tarts
You will need:
- Plain flour (4oz/115g/1cup)
- Butter (2oz/55g/ ½ cup)
- Pinch of salt
- Water (30ml)
- Jam (12 teaspoons)
- 12 cake bun tin
- Round cookie cutter (7.5cm/3 inch diameter)
- Small heart cookie cutter
- Rolling pin
How to make Jam Tarts with Hearts…
- The more you mix/knead pastry the tougher and less tasty it will be. Therefore the aim is to make it with as little effort as possible.
- Keep moving the dough when rolling and move flour underneath it to prevent it sticking.
- Jam gets very hot so do not eat the tarts until they’ve cooled.
- For plain jam tarts, don’t add the extra hearts and leave in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- If your jam is boiling but the pastry is not quite cooked, turn the oven down to gas mark 3/160°C/325°F.
- You can use any type of jam you like, or lemon curd.