Baking Gingerbread is a great activity to do with kids.
Try this easy Gingerbread Men recipe and let kids use their imagination to decorate them.
What could be more fun? – Oh, eating them! Silly me.
You will need:
- Plain flour (12oz/340g/2 ¾ cups)
- Butter (4oz/115g/1 stick)
- Brown sugar (6oz/170g/ ¾ cup)
- 1 egg
- 3-4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
How to make Gingerbread Men…
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Put the flour, butter, ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a big mixing bowl and use the tips of your fingers to work all the ingredients together until it looks crumbly and there are no butter lumps left.
- Stir the sugar through the mixture.
- Add the egg and golden syrup and mix into a dough – if it’s too sticky to tip out of the bowl add a little more flour.
- Tip the dough out onto a well floured work surface and roll out to about 0.5cm thick.
- Cut out Gingerbread men with your Gingerbread cutter (note: if your mixture doesn’t have enough flour in the Gingerbread men will lose their shape when you pick them up. Knead in some more flour if this happens)
- Transfer the Gingerbread men to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Leave the cookies to cool for a minute before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Decorate the Gingerbread men with icing pens, chocolate buttons, raisins or anything else that takes your fancy.
Tips for making your Gingerbread Men…
- Remember to wash your hands well before starting.
- Leave the butter out at room temperature for half an hour before you start to make crumbling easier – and chop it up into small pieces.
- Make sure your rolling pin, work surface and the top of your dough are all well floured!
- I found this recipe made too many Gingerbread men for just one family. If you’re not planning on taking these to a bake sale or a party, halve the recipe.
- These taste fantastic with a water based frosting over the top.
You might also like…