The sultanas and cinnamon give this traditional recipe an extra kick. Great with custard!
You will need:
For the crumble:
- 6oz/170g self raising flour
- 4oz/115g butter
- 2oz/55g caster sugar
For the filling:
- 3 cooking apples
- 1oz/30g caster sugar
- 2oz/55g sultanas
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
How to make it…
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C
- Put the flour and butter together in a large bowl.
- Rub the flour and butter together using just your fingers and thumbs until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the caster sugar into the mixture before setting aside.
- Peel, core and slice up the cooking apples and lay them evenly in the bottom of a dish.
- Sprinkle the sultanas over the apple slices.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle this evenly over the apples and sultanas.
- Tip the crumble topping over the apple and sultana filling and spread out evenly and to the edges before putting in the oven for up to 1 hour
- Remove the crumble from the oven when it is golden and bubbling and a knife goes in easily.
- Leave to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving with custard, cream or ice cream. See steps in photos
- Remember to wash your hands well before starting.
- To rub the flour and butter together, pick up the mixture between thumb and fingers and rub together letting the mixture fall from your fingers back into the bowl. Repeat until all the flour and butter is combined and looks like breadcrumbs.
- Don’t overwork the flour and butter as it will get too warm and clog together. Don’t worry if this happens though, just add a little more flour.
- The apples will go brown quite quickly once they’ve been chopped, but don’t worry – this won’t hinder the taste.
- If you’re using normal apples instead of cooking apples, reduce the sugar.