There’s only one type of plant which is easier to look after than a cactus, and that’s a TP roll cactus!
Bring a bit of wild west into your bedroom and make a cactus plant for the windowsill.
You will need :
- Toilet paper roll
- PVA glue
- Uncooked rice
- Green tissue paper (approx 10cm x 10cm sq)
- Red tissue paper
- Green paint and paintbrush
- Printer and Cactus Arms Template
- Plant saucer
- Cut two snips 3 – 4cm long into the top of the TP roll directly opposite each other.
- Pour some uncooked rice into a tray or a plate and spread out evenly.
- Cover the TP roll in lots of glue and roll it in the rice. Leave to dry.
- Print out the cactus arms onto a piece of card.
- Cut out the cactus arms and colour in both sides (remember to add prickles to the back)
- Cut the green tissue paper square into little pieces and set aside.
- Once the glue on the TP roll is dry, paint the the TP roll green.
- Before the paint dries, stick extra pieces of tissue to the paint. When you’ve done, leave to dry.
- Slot the arms into the slits you made at the beginning of the process.
- Scrunch up some red tissue paper and stuff it in the top of the TP roll for a flower.
- Finally fill a plant saucer with sand and stand your cactus up in it. See steps in photos.
- Be careful when painting the TP roll as the rice will fall off quite easily.
- Use lots of paint and try ‘stabbing’ motions with your paintbrush to get the paint in between the rice.
- Why not paint a background for your cactus, with blue sky and endless desert?