Activity Resources for parents, teachers and kids.
Sun & Moon Baton Gallery
Make a Sun and Moon Baton in step-by-step photos…
1. Take a piece of silver foil (15x20cm will be sufficient) and scrunch into a ball. Carefully unwrap and smooth out slightly so you have a crinkly effect.
2. Tear the silver foil up into pieces (average 5x5cm)
3. Take a paper plate and place it upside down. Glue the silver foil pieces onto the back of the plate sporadically. There should be lots of gaps where you can still see the paper plate. The silver foil pieces are the lakes and seas on the moon.
4. Use a sponge to mix various shades of grey from the white and black paint and dab on to the plate. Leave to dry.
5. If you want, draw a smiley face on your moon with a black marker pen once it’s dry. Or create a smiley face using art materials such as pom-poms and googly eyes.
1. Take a paper plate and place it upside down.
2. Use a sponge to dab yellow, red and orange paint onto the plate. Leave to dry.
3. Print the Sun Ray Template and cut out the yellow and orange triangles.
4. Once the paper plate is dry, glue the triangles all the way around the basin of the plate so that the points just reach the edge of the paper plate and you can’t see them from the other side.
5. If you want, draw a smiley face on your sun with a black marker pen. Or create a smiley face using art materials such as pom-poms and googly eyes.
1. Cut the kitchen roll tube lengthways all the way up the middle. Re-roll into a tighter tube and secure with sticky tape.
2. Flatten the end of the tube.
Using a stapler, secure well to the inside of one of the paper plates, either the sun or the moon.
3. With the first plate laying face down, lay the second paper plate on top of the other (face up) and secure all the way round with a stapler.