Make a Pumpkin Pinata for your next Halloween party.
This is a papier mache craft so remember to start making this a few days in advance of Halloween.
You will need:
- A Balloon
- Papier mache (flour, water and newspaper)
- Wrapped candies/sweets
- Orange, green and black crepe paper
- Sharp pencil and plasticine
How to make a Pumpkin Pinata…
- Cover your balloon with 2 or 3 layers of papier mache. If you need tips on how to papier mache, go to How To Papier Mache
- Once the 2nd or 3rd layer is dry, pop the balloon and trim the top of the cast.
- Cut the orange crepe paper into manageable pieces and cover the papier mache cast starting from the bottom.
- Cut 3 triangles and a crooked, smiling mouth out of the black crepe paper – glue to the front of your pumpkin. Remember the top is where the hole is.
- Pierce two holes opposite each other at the top of the pumpkin using a sharp pencil and plasticine to cushion it.
- Thread a piece of twine or string through both holes and secure with a knot at the top.
- Fill the pinata with wrapped candies/sweets, coloured crepe paper pieces and small toys and stuff the hole with green crepe paper.
- Hang up ready for your party.
Tips when making a Pumpkin Pinata…
- Papier mache will take a few days as it takes at least 12 hours for each layer to dry so remember to start this craft ahead of time.
- The more layers of papier mache you use the stronger your pinata will be and the longer it will last.
- Do not use too much glue to stick the crepe paper as the glue will show through.