Make Halloween Lanterns to light up your doorway, drive or back garden this Halloween.
These lanterns look really spooky and you can be as creative as you like!
You will need:
- Empty jar
- Nail varnish in various colours
- Tea light candle
How to make a Halloween lantern…
- Soak your jar in hot water for 5-10 minutes until the label comes away easily.
- Cut a piece of paper or card which fits snugly around the inside of the jar – this will be your template.
- Remove the piece of paper from the jar and draw spooky Halloween characters or whatever else you’d like to decorate your jar with on the piece of paper.
- When you’ve finished drawing your template, put the piece of paper back in the jar.
- Use nail varnish to paint the outside of the jar using your template inside as a guide.
- When you’ve finished, remove the piece of paper and throw it away before leaving the jar to dry completely. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Tie two pieces of string around the lip of the jar securely for handles if you would like to hang the lantern.
- Place a lighted candle in the jar (adults only please!) and watch your spooky characters flicker in the night!
Tips for making your Halloween Lantern…
- If glue residue remains on the jar after you’ve soaked it, white spirit will remove it.
- Exercise caution when placing these lanterns outside if they have a candle in. Remember heat rises so do not put these directly underneath anything which is combustible.