Make your own modelling clay at home from ingredients you can find in the house.
This Coffee Clay can then be baked and painted so you can keep your creations forever!
Makes about 36 badge size creations – adjust accordingly
You will need:
- Plain flour (225g/9oz/2 cups)
- Salt (150g/5oz/1/2 cup)
- Instant coffee granules (6 tsps)
- Warm water (240ml/1 cup)
How to make Coffee Clay…
Tips for making Coffee Clay…
- Buy cheap salt from the supermarket – it’s normally found in a bag and costs a fraction of the price of the better quality salt we use in cooking.
- You will probably not need all the coffee mixture, but keep any left over to help when you’re modelling – you may need it to rehydrate the clay or to stick clay pieces together.
- Knead the mixture at the end to combine together.
- If cracks appear in the clay when you are modelling, dip the clay in some left over coffee mixture and knead together to rehydrate.
- To attach clay pieces together, dab one of the clay pieces in a little of the coffee mixture and then stick on.
- For ideas of what to make with coffee clay, try Chinese Zodiac Fridge Magnets, Aboriginal Art Wall Hangings or make a sign for a friend or loved one instead of a card.