Traditionally Chinese Lanterns have tea lights or small candles in them but these are the flame-free versions!
These lanterns are so easy to make and you can use them to decorate any event if you hang them with string or ribbon.
You will need :
- Coloured card or paper
- Sticky Tape
- With your card placed in landscape position, cut a strip about 2cm wide off the end and set aside.
- Fold the remainder of the card in half from top to bottom.
- Snip cuts 1-2cm apart along the folded side of the card. The cuts shouldn’t go any further than halfway up the card.
- Unfold the card.
- Bend one end of the card to meet the other and secure with sticky tape.
- Attach the strip of card to the top of the lantern with sticky tape.
- Snip more cuts into the bottom of the lantern and fan out.
- You can decorate your lantern with coloured pens before taping it together. You could draw patterns or Chinese symbols.
- Make the cuts more prominent by gently pressing down the lantern once you’ve taped it together.
- Use different sized card for different sized lanterns.
- Try snipping different shapes into the card like triangles or wiggly lines.